15 Dates to Take With Your Older Son
Although life can be so hectic, my husband and I try to take the time to date our kids. He takes the girls out, and I take my boys out. Of course I take my girls out for some fun, too, but a date provides our kids with the opportunity to learn how to behave on a date with the opposite sex.
Being on a date means that you may not talk to your son about anything negative in any way. This is not the time to talk to him about his bad grades, issues with his work around the house, or even his misbehavior in some way. Being on a date is when you are making the very best impression, and dating your son should be no different.
When on a date it is time to talk about what he wants to talk about or even to listen to his dreams. If he wants to talk about problems or a difficult situation in his life you may, but these discussions should be his choice only.
While on your date, let him pick the music and the activities to some extent, but do explain that when he is old enough to be taking a girl out, he is to let her decide these things. I do teach my sons to open doors for girls, pull out chairs for girls, and even to stand up when a female is leaving the table to go powder her nose on a regular basis, but a date night is the perfect opportunity to put these things into action in the perfect setting.
- My son is a music fanatic whose favorite thing to do is go to a concert together. We have done this several times
- Go to an ice cream or coffee place, whichever he would like better
- Have fun at an activity place where they have arcade games, mini golf, or go kart type features
- Walk around at a store like Home Depot to look at gadgets and tools
- I don’t know many boys who wouldn’t love browsing through an electronics store or department
- Put on those attractive shoes and do some bowling
- Even if he doesn’t play baseball, he will have fun at the batting cages
- Practice your swing at the golf range or even head out on the links
- Volunteer somewhere in your community together
- Even older boys enjoy going to the airport to watch planes
- Walk around at a car dealership to dream about cars
- Head to a skateboard park whether to watch or skate
- Hang out at a bookstore
- Stroll through a pet store
- Go fishing, or just watching fishermen at your local fisherman’s hangout is fun
What would your son love to do?
Latest posts by Jennifer Roskamp (see all)
- How to Create a Thanksgiving to Remember - November 21, 2015
- Low-Fat Banana Bread Recipe - November 6, 2015
- 10 Lies the World Wants Your Teen to Believe About Being a Teen - September 9, 2015