Top 5 Books About Teen Addiction
Anxious about Adolescent Addiction? Read these!
Several years ago I was smacked upside the head with a parenting dilemma I had no idea how to handle…my son was spiraling out of control through an addiction to alcohol. With very limited knowledge as to what addiction was, and no friends or family who had personal experience to help me learn, I turned to my local Barnes and Noble, to books in order to educate me on what my son was going through and how to best help him.
Maybe you are in a similar boat? Today there is so much information on the Internet it can be confusing, overwhelming, and time consuming (but, just like in any other parenting dilemma, education is power, so the more you learn, the better prepared you’ll be).
Here are my picks for the Top Five books about Addiction (in young people), ranked in order of being helpful to your search for accurate, easy-to-read information:
- Choices & Consequences: What to Do When a Teenager Uses Alcohol/Drugs by Dick Schaefer This book was specifically written for parents, teachers, mental health professionals as a step-by-step guide in knowing how to spot teen use/abuse and the steps to take to help the situation. It talks about the changing adolescent brain in very easy to understand terms.
- From Binge to Blackout: A Mother/Son Struggle with Teen Drinking by Chris and Toren Volkmann is a personal account, told in alternating chapters by a mother and her son, of a young man’s struggle with alcoholism. I read this book several times over the course of a few months, it was amazing to me how totally different the mothers perspective was from her son’s first hand experience. It’s also FULL of resources and factual information for parents about learning how to cope with a child’s addiction and how much responsibility to take in the recovery process.
- Beautiful Boy by David Sheff A powerful first-hand account of what it is to parent a drug addict. Sheff is a journalist by profession and his experience in that field is expertly woven into a moving, personal, raw and honest account of watching his son fall deeper into addiction. There is definitely something to be said for reading other families stories and knowing you are not alone in this situation!
- clean: Overcoming Addiction and Ending America’s Greatest Tragedy by David Sheff Again, Sheff’s profession assists him as he takes an in-depth look at the state of drug abuse treatment in our country. Invaluable information in an easy-to-read format.
- When the Servant Becomes the Master by Jason Powers, MD This book humanizes the disease of addiction within the framework of science, research, and personal experience. Dr. Powers is a physician, interventionist, and addictionologist. I had the opportunity to see him speak as well…an excellent source of information regarding today’s treatments for addiction in young people.
As the mother of a son who is five years into his recovery, I am happy to share this information and be helpful in any other way to parents who find themselves on this path. There is nothing like being able to talk with someone whose been down the road you are on! To read more of my articles on teen addiction, please visit my website.
Latest posts by Kimberly Muench (see all)
- Hook Ups & Hangovers: The Pre-College Conversation About Partying - July 23, 2019
- CAUTION: Mixing Social Media and Teens is Hazardous! - September 6, 2016
- How to Be a Good Friend When a Crisis Hits - October 12, 2015