It is a fact known by parents the world over, teenage boys are notoriously hard to keep entertained. Trying to keep them away from video games is a struggle enough, but replacing that with a worthwhile activity can be even trickier. Below is a list of some possibilities for hobbies to get teenage boys involved in.
- Learn How To DJ Although this may involve a certain amount of staring at a computer screen, there is far more to DJ-ing than that and much of it is of great benefit to any young man. Firstly, it gets them interested in music and allows them to express themselves creatively. Secondly, it is a remarkably employable skill, both in earning quick money at private parties, but also as a career choice, in a production studio or on a radio station.
- Martial Arts For a start, martial arts are an easy hobby to sell to even the most boisterous teenage boy, as they involve a certain degree of aggression and physical activity. However, they do not promote violence and instead help people to channel their energy and develop skills of self-defense which will always be useful and help to keep them safe. In addition, martial arts are also a good form of exercise as well as encouraging discipline and dedication.
- Get Involved In Sports The fitness involved in any sport is almost a side-effect as there are so many other benefits to be reaped from taking part in an active pursuit such as these. Teenage boys have always enjoyed football and rugby, but in recent years a greater diversity of sports has become available and grown in prominence. From basketball to badminton and from handball to horse-riding, there are many sports that allow players to learn new skills as well as improving teamwork and commitment to an end result.
- Community Theatre For those boys who feel more comfortable on the stage than on the sports field, drama is a great hobby which has many benefits for its participants. One of the first of these is confidence, as a certain degree of that is needed to perform in front of an audience. In addition, creative juices are free to flow and skills such as script-writing and production can be learnt and developed, alongside the obvious acting ability.
In short, there is no lack of hobbies to keep teenage boys occupied and the most important thing is finding one that really appeals to their own personal preferences, personality and interests.
Latest posts by Ten to Twenty (see all)
- 25 Household Hacks to Make Your Life Easier - November 10, 2017
- Looking for Answers on Keeping Track of Your Kids Online? - November 15, 2016
- Why Mindful Eating as a Family Is so Important - September 27, 2016