Nowadays, we all are glued to our phones. From reading emails to endless social media scrolling, we touch our phones with our dirty hands more than a thousand times a day!
And the worst-case scenario is…?
Your shiny clear silicone phone case turns into an ugly yellow color!
Just picture your hands coming in contact with grime, dirt, and god knows what sort of germs throughout the day!
Then, you use those hands to touch your phone, face, eyes, and mouth.
Pretty gross, right?
We all have experienced this at one point in our lives.
However, it is more disappointing when your newly bought silicone phone case turns yellow, and that makes you curious. And you end up on the internet and search, “How to clean phone cases?”
Cleaning your phone case will take a few minutes of your day, so if you are looking for the best ways to remove the yellowness from the case, then our article has plenty of options for you!
In this read, we will reveal five tips to clean your yellow silicone case, so are you ready?
Then, let’s get moving!
FIVE BEST TIPS TO REMOVE YELLOW STAINS OFF YOUR CLEAR PHONE CASE
Cleaning your phone as well as your phone case is a good habit, and it should be done regularly. So let’s check out some solid tips to get rid of germs and dirt!
TIP 1: WASHING THE CASE MONTHLY
1. Gently remove your phone case by stretching it from the end. But make sure not to pull it roughly, or else it will cause a tear or damage it.
2. Fill a cup with warm water and dishwashing liquid and stir it well to make it foamy.
3. Get a clean soft toothbrush and dip it in the water solution and start scrubbing the surface of your phone case in a circular motion.
4. If necessary, dip the toothbrush back into the solution and focus on the stained areas of your phone case.
5. Once you are satisfied with the results, rinse your phone case with warm water only by rubbing the case to ensure there are no remains of soap on it.
6. Use a paper towel to dab and soak out the water from the case, and then put it for about an hour in a windy spot to dry naturally.
Do this once or twice a month to keep your phone case clean. If you are a forgetful person, make a note on your calendar or set a reminder on your phone.
Are you thinking, “How to clean a silicone phone case weekly?”
Then the next tip is just for you!
TIP 2: DISINFECTING THE CASE WEEKLY
1. Disinfecting your case from outside won’t be enough to kill all the germs! You will have to remove the case to kill the bacteria which lingers between the case and the phone.
2. Now, sanitize your case thoroughly from the outside and inside. You can either use disinfectant sprays or wipes to clean the case thoroughly.
Below, we have listed few items you should avoid using to clean your phone case:
- Household cleaners
- Window cleaners
- Cleaners with ammonia
- Cleaners containing hydrogen peroxide
- Aerosol sprays
3. For best results, you can use isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol to kill all the bacteria. You can dab a cotton ball or cotton swab, and wipe it gently on all the outer and inner surfaces of the case. Do not miss out on the corners!
4. Once you complete the above step, let your case sit for a few minutes. When there is no lingering moisture and the case is completely dry, put it back on your device.
It is the best way to clean and disinfect your case quickly if it comes in contact with germs. You must follow this method at least once a week and see the results.
Wanna know how to clean rubber phone case that has turned yellow?
Then, scroll down to find out the instant remedy to this problem!
TIP 3: SCRUB WITH BAKING SODA
Baking soda is the best DIY cleaner found in every household. It is not only a cheap remedy but also gets all your work done!
From removing tea stains on a mug to lightening your teeth, Baking soda is the ultimate solution to your problem.
Don’t believe us?
Then, check out the steps below to find out how to clean a white phone case with baking soda:
1, Sprinkle baking soda on the inner surface of the phone case. Make sure that you do not leave any spot.
2. Once you do it, keep your toothbrush in warm water for 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Then, take it out and start scrubbing it on the inner surface of the phone case. Make sure to pay attention to stained areas.
4. Now, wash the case to remove the baking soda.
5. Repeat the second, third, and fourth steps to ensure that the excess baking soda is removed from the surface.
6. Finally, clean it with a soft dry cloth and let it dry. Repeat the same process on the outer part of the case.
Make sure to follow up on this solution once or twice a month.
If all the previous three steps fail, then you can try the next fix.
TIP 4: SCOUR WITH TOOTHPASTE AND PAINT THINNER
1. Cover the entire area of your case with toothpaste.
2. Start scrubbing it with steel wool.
3. Rinse off the case with water. Then coat in paint thinner and scrub it again with steel wool.
4. In the final step, wash off the case and let it dry.
It is a useful tactic to prevent your transparent phone case from yellowing.
TIP 5: MAYBE IT IS TIME TO REPLACE YOUR OLD PHONE CASE WITH A NEW ONE!
Sometimes, it is very difficult to reverse the process once your case starts to turn yellow. The above tips may help you, but if it is beyond repair, then it is time for you to buy a new clear phone case.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are silicone cases bad for your phone?
The silicon cases indeed mold themselves around the device like the second skin, but it fails to protect the phone from spillage or accidents.
Sources also reveal that silicone cases tend to stretch over time with heavy use.
So if you want to protect your phone, we recommend you change your silicone cases after 2 or 3 months.
2. Is silicone case better than hard?
Silicone cases are very flexible, whereas rubberized hard cases do not bend that easily. Though silicone cases might prevent scratching on the plastic or metallic shell of your device, hard rubberized cases are mostly recommended by experts.
Another con of silicone case is that doesn’t offer shock absorption when the phone is dropped. On the other hand, hard rubber cases absorb shocks in any type of situation.
And unlike silicone, the hard rubber cases can hold their shapes for a longer period.
Silicone cases are good, but hard rubber ones offer slightly more protection.
The hard rubber case is a clear winner here! So you better buy a hard rubber phone case to protect your smartphone.
3. Which is better silicone or leather case?
Now your question must be, why?
Both rubber and leather can absorb shock. However, Rubber’s molecular structure absorbs more shock as compared to leather.
On the other hand, leather is much sleeker and softer to touch than rubber, but the only con here is that the leather case does not offer a tighter grip to your phone.
Talking about durability, rubber cases last longer than plastic ones. However, the leather cases beat the rubber cases when it comes to durability.
Why is it so?
When rubber cases get a single tear, it keeps getting bigger and bigger with time. So they are good until they come into contact with any sharp objects that cause them to tear.
In terms of maintenance, leather cases need extra care because they tend to get damaged due to too much exposure to heat, water, and dust.
Lastly, when it comes to protection, both offer good amounts of protection, but rubber cases can protect your phone from any accidents.
So in case you’re having difficulty deciding between rubber and leather phone cases, then rubber cases will give you extra protection, but leather ones will last longer.
But if you are on a tight budget, you can buy rubber cases and change them after a few months.
4. Why do silicone cases turn yellow?
Many silicon phone cases users might have noticed their phone case turn yellow after a certain period.
Why does it happen? What is the reason behind it?
As we all know, silicon is an inexpensive polymer material that has flexible properties. And these polymers start aging and turn yellow.
Now, you must be wondering how this natural process gets accelerated, right?
Well, it changes its colors when the silicon is exposed to excessive amounts of heat, light, and chemicals.
So that’s how you keep your phone case clean and germ-free. One of the main causes of discoloration is due to oil absorption and UV rays. So by using our tips, you can clean your silicone clear phone case and bring it back to life. To prevent your case from further damage, keep it away from humidity, heat, and of course, from sunlight. Also, be extra careful while washing the case if it has decorative elements like rhinestones, crystals, pearls, etc.
Lastly, avoid boiling your phone case because it might shrink your case’s size. Hope this little DIY project works out for you!